The plaintiff came from a family in South California. She was a five weeks premature infant, but her doctors confirmed that she was healthy and energetic. As most premature newborns do, she was sent to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Four days later, however, when her mother went to check on her and feed her, only to find she was pale and lifeless. According to a local news report, her diaper was soaked, and the feeding tube was found leaky. Doctors said to her mother that it was human error. The family’s attorney stated that the infant was overloaded with glucose because her feeding machine was improperly calibrated to dispense the proper amounts of food into the child, which caused an electrolyte imbalance and led to a decreased level of oxygen to the brain. The plaintiff is now a three years old girl, struggling to walk and speak; she suffers from cerebral palsy and will need constant and special medical care for the rest of her life. This medical malpractice case was finally settled for 20 million US dollars.